Chef Tom's California Sushi
California sushi rolls filled with your favorite sushi fillings are fun to make and delicious to eat. Some of our favorite fillings are fried tofu, cucumber, avocado, and sauteed Asian veggies. For sushi seasonings, I'm a fan of wasabi with shoyu and Debi likes umeboshi. Happy sushi making!
I highly recommend watching Chef Eddy Tseng California Sushi rolling technique on YouTube.*
- Divide the rice into 4 equal amounts.
- Cover a sushi mat with plastic wrap** or NatureFlex cellophane.
- Place 1/2 sheet of nori with rough side up and long side of nori facing you.
- Dip your fingers in a bowl of cool water shaking off excess water and spread 1 portion of rice evenly over nori, press gently and sprinkle with black sesame seeds.
- Lift and flip the rice and nori over so it is face down on plastic wrap. Remove sushi mat.
- Place fillings of your choice in a line across the long side of the rice about one inch from bottom.
- Add a dab of wasabi or umeboshi seasoning across the roll.
- Roll it up, cut into 6 even slices with a slightly damp sharp knife.
- Serve with wasabi or shoyu sushi dip.