Organic Chef Tom's Onigirazu Sushi Sandwiches
YIELDS 4 Sandwiches
Onigirazu aka “Sushi Sandwiches” are a fun twist on homemade sushi nori rolls. Sushi is typically rolled and sliced into bite-size pieces, with Onigirazu it is layered more like a sandwich with rice on the outsides (like bread slices on a sandwich) and your favorite fillings in the middle. They are often made on a layer of plastic wrap (we use natural cellophane!) and folded around the sushi sandwich and sliced on a diagonal to keep all the ingredients in place until ready to eat. Onigirazu are delicious, easy, and fun to make.
These sandwiches can be enjoyed as a whole meal, packed for simple on-the-go lunches, taken on hikes/outdoor activities, or simply enjoyed at home as a nice snack or meal. Get creative with your favorite fillings and enjoy these tasty, unique and fun Onigirazu sandwiches.
2 cups organic sushi rice
2½ cups water
1 pinch sea salt
2 avocados, cut in half and sliced
1 red onion, sliced thin
1 large tomato, sliced rounds
1 small bunch arugula
1–2 carrots, grated
5 slices Chef Tom’s Organic Sweet & Sour Tempeh, fried tofu or seafood of your choice
Organic Black or Brown Sesame Seeds, raw or toasted
1– 2 Tablespoons Mitoku Umeboshi Paste*
1 Tablespoon Sushi Sonic 51% Wasabi, mixed with 2 Tablespoons water and 1 teaspoon Mitoku Organic Shoyu
4 – 6 sheets of Emerald Cove Organic Toasted Sushi Nori
4 – 6 sheets of natural cellophane or plastic food wrap, slightly larger than nori sheet
1. Wash and drain rice about 3 – 4 times until the water is clear.
2. Bring water to a boil with sea salt. Add sushi rice to boiling water and bring back to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer and cook for 20 minutes without removing cover. Turn off stove. Leave cover on and allow to sit for 15 minutes .
3. Pour rice into a large bowl and allow it to cool enough to hold in hands, by “cutting” back and forth with a rice paddle – about 15 minutes.
PREPARING SUSHI SANDWICHES
1. Lay cellophane or plastic wrap on the counter or large cutting board.
2. Lay 1 sheet of Emerald Cove Organic Toasted Sushi Nori on table with rough side facing up.
3. Place ½ cup of sushi rice in the center of nori on a diagonal from the corners so that you are creating a diamond shape (about 3 inches wide) pressing rice together lightly.
4. Spread umeboshi paste on rice.
5. Start layering your fillings; tempeh (or tofu, crab…), grated carrots, avocado, arugula, onion ring …
6. Top with another ½ cup of sushi rice (laying down gently) creating the same diamond shape as the rice on the bottom.
7. Spread a little umeboshi paste on top and a sprinkle with black sesame seeds.
WRAP IT UP
1. Bring one corner of nori up to the center of rice (it should stick.) Fold the opposite corner up to the center of the rice.
2. Do the same for the remaining two corners to create a package.
3. Fold the cellophane or plastic wrap up around sushi sandwich nice and tight and set aside while preparing remaining sushi sandwiches.
Slice Onigirazu – Sushi Sandwiches in half (I like to slice on a diagonal) and serve with wasabi or store wrapped and uncut in the refrigerator and cut before eating or taking out at work, a hike…
Substitute with Emperor's Kitchen Umeboshi Plums.