Chef Tom's Shiitake Miso Gravy
Chef Tom's Shiitake Miso Gravy is packed with umami flavor. Delicious on mashed potatoes, and whole grain dishes. This version calls for Miso Master Organic Traditional Red Miso which creates a dark, deep flavored gravy. For a lighter gravy in color and flavor use Miso Master Organic Mellow White Miso. Both the red or white miso will make for a delicious mushroom gravy!
- 6–8 Emperor's Kitchen Organic Shiitake Mushrooms, soaked and sliced thin
- 1 small onion, cut into thin half moons
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 1 Tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped fine
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped fine
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon Miso Master Organic Traditional Red Miso, dissolve in 2 tablespoons of warm water
- 2 – 2½ Tablespoons Mitoku Organic Wild Kuzu, cornstarch or arrowroot, dissolved in about 2 +/- Tablespoons cool water*
- Heat olive oil in small saucepan or deep fry pan.
- Saute onions, shiitake, parsley, oregano and thyme in olive oil for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water or broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add dissolved kuzu and increase heat a little to help thicken to desired consistency. You may need a little more kuzu as it can be a little difficult to measure. (See notes below)
- Once thickened, reduce heat to a low simmer (below boiling point) and add dissolved miso. Adjust to taste.
*KUZU: To make it easier to measure the kuzu, you can also use the back of a spoon or a Suribachi to break up kuzu clumps. Add just enough cool water to dissolve into a thick, yet pourable paste.
MISO: To dissolve miso, place in a small bowl adding enough warm water to create a smooth texture.
You can substitute Kuzu with organic corn starch or arrowroot powder.
ASIAN FLAVORED GRAVY
Add a tasty Asian flavor to this recipe that’s absolutely delicious on rice, substitute Emperor's Kitchen Organic Toasted Sesame Oil in place of the olive oil.
ITALIAN FLAVORED GRAVY
Add some Emperor's Kitchen Organic Chopped Garlic along with shiitake, onions, and seasonings.