Rich Creamy Vegan Alfredo Sauce
by Jane Stanchich
Do you ever crave a creamy white pasta sauce Alfredo-style? Do you ever not? Cook this delicious, smooth vegan version, which is superb served over warm pasta, or as a topping for whole grain or vegetables. It is sure to be a family favorite! Serve Vegan Alfredo warm on warm pasta, garnished with a few shakes of vegan “Parmesan” and fresh parsley.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups yellow or white onions, diced
- 3 cups white cauliflower, large dice
- ½ pound fresh firm tofu, cubed
- 2 cups water or pasta cook water (water should only be half-way up the vegetables)
- ½ cup tahini, raw or toasted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, or 1 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- 2 Tablespoons Miso Master Mellow White or Miso Master Chickpea Miso, to taste
- Sprinkle of vegan "Parmesan cheese" as garnish
- 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, rinsed and minced as garnish
- Place oil in medium warm skillet, sauté onions for three minutes; add cauliflower and sauté for two minutes. Add tofu. Stir well. Pour in water to the pot halfway up the vegetable-tofu level and bring to low boil. Cover and cook on medium heat for ten minutes or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Open pot and turn off heat. Using a hand-immersion blender*, puree the vegetables and tofu until creamy. Add the tahini, garlic, and miso into the pot and blend well. Simmer 3 minutes on low heat. Taste and adjust miso and garlic flavorings, as needed. Blend well.
- Prepare pasta of your choice al dente. Do not overcook! Drain, reserving 2 cups pasta water. Rinse pasta briefly in cool water, drain, then keep warm. Lately, we love quinoa-brown rice-corn non-gluten linguine.
* If you do not have an immersion blender, you may use any blender or processor. You can also use a simple “potato masher” tool and enjoy a chunkier version.